Re: Partitions and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Amitabh Kant
Subject Re: Partitions and indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Chetan Suttraway <chetan.suttraway@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello

If I have partitioned a table based on a foreign key in a manner where every child table will only have data for single value of the foreign key, do I need to create a index for the foreign key in the primary and/or child tables? I am using version 8.4

With regards

Amitabh

Could you post a detailed set of queries?

--
Chetan Sutrave
http://www.enterprisedb.com

A simplified representation would be:

Table T1
id int (PK)
name varchar

Table T2
id int (PK)
T1id int (FK to T1->id)

Now if I partition the table T2 based on field T1id, making sure that each distinct T1id is provided its own child table

Table T2C1 (inherited from T2, T1id field only contains 1 for all rows)
Table T2C2 (inherited from T2, T1id field only contains 2 for all rows)

What I would like to know here is that do I need to add an index for T1id field for either T2 or it's inherited tables (T2C1/T2C2 etc)?

Amitabh