Re: Hot Standby - ERROR: canceling statement due to conflict with recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Jens Wilke <jens@wilke.org> wrote:
On Sonntag, 27. Februar 2011, Sean Laurent wrote:

> Unfortunately, most queries against the hot standby fail. Worse
> yet, pg_dump fails:
> I'm not entirely certain I understand why I'm seeing this. Nor do
> I understand how to fix or work around this. Any advice or

Long running queries on the standby are a bit tricky, because they
might need to see row versions that are already removed on the
master.
It's well documented:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/hot-standby.html

Right. I read all of that. I guess I just assumed it was possible to create a snapshot on the standby so that a longer running on the standby could complete. In particular, I was really hoping to run database dumps against the standby, not the master.

Thanks.

Sean