Re: gist README - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: gist README
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Vangelis Katsikaros
<vkatsikaros@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> I see that the gist README file (src/backend/access/gist/README) hasn't seen
> any major content updates, since its initial creation, apart from gist
> insertion recovery issues [1].
>
> I would like to ask if there are any major differences between the README
> file and postrges' code, and if the README file has the essence of what is
> happening in the gist code?
>
> For example in commit (1f7ef548ec2e594fa8766781c490fb5b998ea46b) [2],
> another algorithm for splitting was implemented, but the paper isn't
> mentioned in the README file. The reason I am asking is that I am interested
> in gists (for a university project) and I would like to see how they were
> implemented in postgres.

We usually try to keep our README files up to date, but the GIST code
is more poorly commented than most of our code base, so it's certainly
possible that some updates are needed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company