Re: postgres invoked oom-killer - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Spiegelberg
Subject Re: postgres invoked oom-killer
Date
List pgsql-admin
2010/5/7 Silvio Brandani <silvio.brandani@tech.sdb.it>
Greg Spiegelberg ha scritto:

Is this system a virtual machine?

Greg

No is not,

is up and runnig from 4 months , 60 G of data in 9 different databases. Lately we import a new schema in one of those databases .

Okay.  I asked because I have seen VMware's balloon driver trigger the OOMK in Linux killing and killing databases.  It wasn't enough in these cases to simply turn off OOMK.  VMware has a setting for each VM to "reserve" memory for that VM ensuring the balloon driver won't be used to a certain extent or at all.  Then and only then would disabling OOMK really work.

Greg