Re: Synchronization levels in SR - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Synchronization levels in SR
Date
Re: Synchronization levels in SR
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> (1) most standard case: 1 master + 1 "sync" standby (near)
>    When the master goes down, something like a clusterware detects that
>    failure, and brings the standby online. Since we can ensure that the
>    standby has all the committed transactions, failover doesn't cause
>    any data loss.

How do you propose to guarantee that?  ISTM that you have to either
commit locally first, or send the commit to the remote first.  Either
way, the two events won't occur exactly simultaneously.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company