Re: could not truncate directory "pg_subtrans": apparent wraparound - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mikko Partio
Subject Re: could not truncate directory "pg_subtrans": apparent wraparound
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Mikko Partio <mpartio@gmail.com> writes:
> got the following line at postgresql log:

> May 16 01:17:35 xxx postgres[25550]: [1-1] LOG:  could not truncate
> directory "pg_subtrans": apparent wraparound

>  PostgreSQL 9.0beta1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
> 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46), 64-bit

Where did this beta1 installation come from --- was it freshly initdb'd
under 9.0, or did you use pg_upgrade on a pre-existing database that had
been around for awhile?  It strikes me that the recently identified bug
in pg_upgrade about not fixing the datfrozenxid of template0 might
possibly explain this.  You'd need to have upgraded an installation that
was at least a couple billion transactions old to hit that bug.

It was freshly initdb'd with beta1 binaries, the contents were loded from a pg_dump file. The number of transactions is very small, we're talking about thousands (not billions). This database is the master of a hot standby installation, if that matters.

Regards

Mikko