Re: beta to release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: beta to release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> IMHO, there is nothing wrong with you (or any other developer) spending time
> working on v9.1 features if said person feels that they have satisfied
> themselves that v9.0 is ready for release (ie. I think the best test anyone
> can run, espeecially those whose employer uses PostgreSQL, is to run tests
> using their own applications / environment ... regressions are great and
> all, but real world always finds something new) ...
>
> Tom's employer requires *as clean* a release as possible, so for him, his
> priority is to go through and test everything and anything he can think of
> ... and that includes doing review of the code that got added ... but, that
> is what *his* employer is paying his time to do  ...
>
> Again, IMHO, the critical thing throughout beta is that if a bug is
> reported, or an oddiity, that any 'development for 9.1' gets drop'd fast and
> teh bug report is jumped on / fixed ASAP ...
>
> To me, beta is ... we're ready for release, we're not throwing in any new
> code .. it is a time for more 'end users' to start testing real world
> applications (even if they won't run 9.0, but will wait for 9.0.1) to start
> evaluating, which inevitable will generate bug reports to be fixed ...

That all sounds reasonable to me, and is about how I feel about it
myself.  Thinking about Tom's comments a little more, I think there
are probably a few things that I could/should go back over in a little
more detail, and I'm going to make time to do that, but I'm also going
to work on 9.1 features as time permits.  I will also take the time to
respond to design proposals for proposed 9.1 projects, especially from
anyone who similarly takes the time to respond to mine.  I probably
will not look at actual patches very much just yet.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company