Re: limiting hint bit I/O - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: limiting hint bit I/O
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> this seems to be speeding up the first run by 6x at the expense of
>> slowing down many subsequent runs by 10-15%.
>
> If the overall throughput when measured far enough out to have hit a
> steady state again is anywhere in the neighborhood of the unpatched
> throughput, the leveling of the response times has enough value to
> merit the change.  At least in my world.

I think it would eventually settle down to the same speed, but it
might take a really long time.  I got impatient before I got that far.I'm hoping some will pick it up and play with it
somemore (hint,
hint).

--
Robert Haas