Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dave Page
Subject Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> Really, the installer on Windows needs to stash the password in an
> admin-only-readable registry key, read it from there on install, and test to
> make sure it works. If it does, Pg need not even bother the user with the
> account password at all.

Aside from the fact that such a technique would probably end up on
Bugtraq quicker than I could write the report myself, many people do
need the password for setting up additional services such as pgAgent,
and for actually logging into the database they just installed.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company