Re: [BUGS] Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUGS] Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> The bug was only reported Monday morning, and you are yelling at me
> on a Tuesday night for not being willing to drop everything I'm doing
> and fix it right now?

I am not saying and have not said that you needed to drop everything
you were doing and fix it right now.  Had you said, "I will get a
patch for this out this week", that would have been fine with me.
What I did and do object to is that your commitment to fix it was
completely open-ended.  From reading your email, there's no way for
someone to know whether you'll get to this in two days or a month, and
a month, at least in my opinion, is too long, maybe at any time but
certainly at this point in the release cycle.

> Since you seem so keen on telling other people what they should be
> doing, here's some of your own medicine: why not focus on something
> other than YAML, which myself and many other people can write, and
> work more on the 9.0 open issues that your energy and expertise
> would be more suited for?

I think this comment is a little snide, but it deserves a serious
response.  I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening working on
every open item that I had a clue about, and another two hours this
morning.  Most of the remaining items are either things that I am not
qualified to fix or for which there are currently patches out for
comment.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company