Re: Sync Rep v19 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Sync Rep v19
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Even though postmaster dies, the waiting backend keeps waiting until
>> the timeout expires. Instead, the backends should periodically check
>> whether postmaster is alive, and then they should exit immediately
>> if it's not alive, as well as other process does? If the timeout is
>> disabled, such backends would get stuck infinitely.
>
> Will wake them every 60 seconds

I don't really see why sync rep should be responsible for solving this
problem, which is an issue in many other situations as well, only for
itself.  In fact I think I'd prefer that it didn't, and that we wait
for a more general solution that will actually fix this problem for
real.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company