Re: Identical query slower on 8.4 vs 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jon Nelson
Subject Re: Identical query slower on 8.4 vs 8.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Patrick Donlin <pdonlin@oaisd.org> wrote:
> I have two servers with equal specs, one of them running 8.3.7 and the new
> server running 8.4.4. The only tweak I have made from the default install
> (from Ubuntu repositories) is increasing shared_buffers to 768MB. Both
> servers are running 64-bit, but are different releases of Ubuntu.

^^^ Right there.  *different releases*. I've seen fairly significant
differences in identical hardware with even minor O/S point releases.

After you run a full vacuum and then reindex and then vacuum analyze
(probably not entirely necessary) if there is still a difference I'd
point at the O/S.

--
Jon