Re: Advice configuring ServeRAID 8k for performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Crooke
Subject Re: Advice configuring ServeRAID 8k for performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Definitely switch to RAID-10 .... it's not merely that it's a fair bit faster on normal operations (less seek contention), it's **WAY** faster than any parity based RAID (RAID-2 through RAID-6) in degraded mode when you lose a disk and have to rebuild it. This is something many people don't test for, and then get bitten badly when they lose a drive under production loads.

Use higher capacity drives if necessary to make your data fit in the number of spindles your controller supports ... the difference in cost is modest compared to an overall setup, especially with SATA. Make sure you still leave at least one hot spare!

In normal operation, RAID-5 has to read and write 2 drives for every write ... not sure about RAID-6 but I suspect it needs to read the entire stripe to recalculate the Hamming parity, and it definitely has to write to 3 drives for each write, which means seeking all 3 of those drives to that position. In degraded mode (a disk rebuilding) with either of those levels, ALL the drives have to seek to that point for every write, and for any reads of the failed drive, so seek contention is horrendous.

RAID-5 and RAID-6 are designed for optimum capacity, protection, and low write performance, which is fine for a general file server.

Parity RAID simply isn't suitable for database use .... anyone who claims otherwise either (a) doesn't understand the failure modes of RAID, or (b) is running in a situation where performance simply doesn't matter.

Cheers
Dave