Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jon Nelson
Subject Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm all wet, because you'd still have to re-de-duplicate at the
>>> end.  But then why did the OP get a speedup?  *scratches head*
>>
>> Because it all fix it memory and didnt swap to disk?
>
> Doesn't make sense.  The re-de-duplication at the end should use the
> same amount of memory regardless of whether the individual relations
> have already been de-duplicated.

I don't believe that to be true.
Assume 100 tables each of which produces 10,000 rows from this query.
Furthermore, let's assume that there are 3,000 duplicates per table.

Without DISTINCT:
uniqify (100 * 10,000 = 1,000,000 rows)

With DISTINCT:
uniqify (100 * (10,000 - 3,000) = 700,000 rows)

300,000 rows times (say, 64 bytes/row) = 18.75MB.
Not a lot, but more than the work_mem of 16MB.

Or maybe *I'm* all wet?

--
Jon