Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations
Date
Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations
Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql@jamponi.net> wrote:
>>> I still think that having UNION do de-duplication of each contributory
>>> relation is a beneficial thing to consider -- especially if postgresql
>>> thinks the uniqueness is not very high.
>
>> This might be worth a TODO.
>
> I don't believe there is any case where hashing each individual relation
> is a win compared to hashing them all together.  If the optimizer were
> smart enough to be considering the situation as a whole, it would always
> do the latter.

You might be right, but I'm not sure.  Suppose that there are 100
inheritance children, and each has 10,000 distinct values, but none of
them are common between the tables.  In that situation, de-duplicating
each individual table requires a hash table that can hold 10,000
entries.  But deduplicating everything at once requires a hash table
that can hold 1,000,000 entries.

Or am I all wet?

--
Robert Haas