Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck
Date
Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck  (Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org>)
Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck  (Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Andy <angelflow@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This might be a bit too little too late though. As you mentioned there really isn't any real performance improvement
forthe Intel SSD. Meanwhile, SandForce (the controller that OCZ Vertex is based on) is releasing its next generation
controllerat a reportedly huge performance increase.

> Is there any benchmark measuring the performance of these SSD's (the new Intel vs. the new SandForce) running
databaseworkloads? The benchmarks I've seen so far are for desktop applications.

The random performance data is usually a rough benchmark.  The
sequential numbers are mostly useless and always have been.  The
performance of either the ocz or intel drive is so disgustingly fast
compared to a hard drives that the main stumbling block is life span
and write endurance now that they are starting to get capactiors.

My own experience with MLC drives is that write cycle expectations are
more or less as advertised. They do go down (hard), and have to be
monitored. If you are writing a lot of data this can get pretty
expensive although the cost dynamics are getting better and better for
flash. I have no idea what would be precisely prudent, but maybe some
good monitoring tools and phased obsolescence at around 80% duty cycle
might not be a bad starting point.  With hard drives, you can kinda
wait for em to pop and swap em in -- this is NOT a good idea for flash
raid volumes.

merlin