Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:

>>> Would you have preferred later application failure?
>>
>> YES! =A0It's a heck of a lot easier to fix the application than it is to
>> doctor the dump output with vi.
>
> But of course you don't ever do that. What you do once the restore failed=
 on
> you is fix the schema and the application before to upgrade.

Presumably, you mean that YOU don't ever do that.  What everybody else
does is up to them, and there are plenty of people on this thread
saying either (1) they don't want to do what you're proposing or (2)
their application doesn't need fixing because it already quotes
everything.

--=20
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company