Re: upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On February 2, 2011, "William Bruton" <drc@spidr.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I know which version to upgrade to from 8.1.4?
>

> Well, 8.1 is no longer supported, it seems. So an upgrade to any supported
> version will likely require application changes, or at least thorough
> testing. You might as well go right to 9.0.3 to get all the latest features.

While I agree that going to 9.0.latest makes the most sense, if this
is a sundowned system, and they just need to get on a supported
version for now, 8.2 is nearly a drop in replacement for 8.1. We went
from 8.1 to 8.2 to 8.3...  The transition to 8.2 involved upgrading
and testing, and we had zero compatibility issues.  8.3 as a bit more
work.  Anything after that's been cake.