Re: Postgres forums ... take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willy-Bas Loos
Subject Re: Postgres forums ... take 2
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Something isn't going right:
http://forums.postgresql.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=96
Contains 2 issues.
I participated in both, but my reply to the second issue is not included in the forum.
If you need me to show you the emails or whatever, just ask.

btw: great stuff! :)

Cheers,

WBL

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:59, J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 November 2010 10:30:05 Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 03:45, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have made some major changes "beta2"
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Extra thoughts;
>> >
>> > It would not be practical for the forums to create a dummy mailing list
>> > email address per person or forum,
>>
>> Why? It doesn't have to be actual mailboxes, but it needs to be a
>> deliverable email address.
>>
>> The other option is, of course, to send the email using the email
>> address the forum user uses to register with the forum. That might
>> cause issues with some antispam solutions, but as long as it's done
>> right, I think that would work.
>
> If this is done in cooperation with the list admins, they could whitelist the
> forum-server for this?

There's actually no way to whitelist a server in mj2. We've tried this
for other things, and it just doesn't work.

>> > however theres needs to be a robust way to make sure the topics/threads
>> > and posts match up with the threads and emails in the mailing list. The
>> > problem I see is that replies to the forum are not technically replies
>> > via email and so they will not carry the unique "in-reply-to"
>> > identifier.
>>
>> The email generated is a reply via email, and carries a message id. It
>> should be perfectly possible to chain those together using
>> in-reply-to, as long as all posts are mirrored between the two media.
>
> I think the only way to correctly mirror these 2 is to use one as the master
> and have the other populated by the master.
> As the mailing list already exists and is used a lot already, I would think
> the following would work:
> - user posts on forum, email is generated. When email comes from list, it is
> entered into the forum

Yes, that's pretty much how it would have to work.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/