redhat and postgresql management - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David Bear
Subject redhat and postgresql management
Date
Re: redhat and postgresql management  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: redhat and postgresql management  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: redhat and postgresql management  (Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-admin
I have RHEL 5.4 (64bit) that has a postgresql-lib 8.1 installed to satisfy dependancy for a dozen other packages including apache, php and other apache modules, and subversion.

I want to install postresql 8.3 but yum informs me of the version conflict of the library. May i safely just over write the postgresql-lib with the 8.3 lib ?? I'd rather not have to uninstall all the dependancies, install pg, then reinstall everything I just removed facing more possible dependacy issue.

any advice much appreciated.

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU