Re: Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Slow count(*) again...
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:22 AM, mark <dvlhntr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could this be an interesting test use of https://www.fossexperts.com/ ?
>
> 'Community' driven proposal - multiple people / orgs agree to pay various
> portions? Maybe with multiple funders a reasonable target fund amount could
> be reached.
>
> Just throwing around ideas here.

This is a bit off-topic, but as of now, they're only accepting
proposals for projects to be performed by CommandPrompt itself.  So
that doesn't help me much (note the sig).

But in theory it's a good idea.  Of course, when and if they open it
up, then what?  If more than one developer or company is interested in
a project, who determines who gets to do the work and get paid for it?
 If that determination is made by CommandPrompt itself, or if it's
just a free-for-all to see who can get their name on the patch that
ends up being committed, it's going to be hard to get other
people/companies to take it very seriously.

Another problem is that even when they do open it up, they apparently
intend to charge 7.5 - 15% of the contract value as a finder's fee.
That's a lot of money.  For a $100 project it's totally reasonable,
but for a $10,000 project it's far more expensive than the value of
the service they're providing can justify.  (Let's not even talk about
a $100,000 project.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company