Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 18:59, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Well, we'd try to name the file for that "<oid>-/foo/bar.tar", which I
>> guess would break badly, yes.
>
>> I guess we could normalize the tablespace name into [a-zA-Z0-9] or so,
>> which would still be useful for the majority of cases, I think?
>
> Just stick with the OID.  There's no reason that I can see to have
> "friendly" names for these tarfiles --- in most cases, the DBA will
> never even deal with them, no?

No, this is the output mode where the DBA chooses to get the output in
the form of tarfiles. So if chosen, he will definitely deal with it.

When we unpack the tars right away to a directory, they have no name,
so that doesn't apply here.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/