Re: Deadlock in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Hesselink
Subject Re: Deadlock in libpq
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 14:23, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Erik Hesselink <hesselink@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're getting a deadlock in our application (a web application with a
>> PostgreSQL backend) which I've traced to libpq. I've started our
>> application in gdb, and when it hangs, I've inspected the backtraces.
>> I've found a couple of threads I can account for (listening for new
>> connections, background processes) and 77 threads waiting for a mutex
>> lock:
>>
>> #0  0x00007ffff523d464 in __lll_lock_wait () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
>> #1  0x00007ffff52385d9 in _L_lock_953 () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
>> #2  0x00007ffff52383fb in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
>> #3  0x00007ffff6160650 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpq.so.5
>>      ==> pg_lockingcallback
>> #4  0x00007ffff440b791 in ?? () from /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
>> #5  0x00007ffff440bcc9 in ?? () from /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
>> #6  0x00007ffff47652fb in SSL_new () from /lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
>> #7  0x00007ffff61604dc in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpq.so.5
>>      ==> pqsecure_open_client
>> #8  0x00007ffff61525ce in PQconnectPoll () from /usr/lib/libpq.so.5
>> #9  0x00007ffff6152f5e in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpq.so.5
>>      ==> connectDBComplete
>> #10 0x00007ffff6153c5f in PQconnectdb () from /usr/lib/libpq.so.5
>> #11 0x0000000000f9b518 in sccR_info ()
>> #12 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
>>
>> So it seems everything is waiting for a lock on a mutex from
>> pq_lockarray (in fe-secure.c@846). Does anybody have any idea how this
>> can happen? Is this something we're doing wrong (I hope so) or a bug
>> in libpq?
>>
>> Some background: this happens only after a couple of thousand requests
>> (each doing about 15 database calls), with occasional other requests
>> coming in at the same time. Our server uses a Haskell binding to libpq
>> (HDBC [1] and HDBC-postgresql [2]). Both client and server run on the
>> same machine, running 64bit Ubuntu 10.04. The database version is
>> "PostgreSQL 8.4.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc-4.4.real
>> (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3, 64-bit". I'm not sure how to determine
>> the libpq version, but it is the most recent that comes with this
>> ubuntu. The changelogs for Ubuntu suggest 8.4.7 as well. Connections
>> are via TCP/IP to 127.0.0.1 with SSL turned on. The machine is under
>> some CPU load when this happens. There is plenty of free memory.
>>
>> When I turned off SSL or connect via domain sockets, we got different
>> errors that are possibly related: occasionally, the connection between
>> client (our app) and server (database) is lost. On the client, we get:
>>
>>    connectPostgreSQL: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>>    This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>    before or while processing the request.
>>
>> and on the server:
>>
>>    could not send data to client: Broken pipe
>>
>> There is no further context around these messages.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> [...]

What do you mean exactly with "How did you initialize ssl"? I found
[1], which I did not know about. This seems to be a very non-local
problem: if one of our dependencies initializes ssl, and I use libpq
as well, this will go wrong. I've done a quick look through all our
dependencies, and none seem to use libcrypto or libssl.

Our application is definitely multithreaded, as it is a web
application. But every database transaction creates a new connection
object. They are never shared between threads.

The problem is very hard to reproduce. I've taken all queries that
were performed when I last reproduced it, and have only those queries
(and inserts/updates) running in two concurrent loops, but so far,
that hasn't reproduced the problem yet. A couple of hours of running
our application with a script performing requests against it can
reproduce it, though.

If this seems to be a problem inside libpq, should I create a bug
report? I'm hesitant, as I don't have any steps to reproduce.

--
Erik Hesselink
http://silkapp.com

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-ssl.html#LIBPQ-SSL-INITIALIZE