Re: Why facebook used mysql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sandeep Srinivasa
Subject Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date
Re: Why facebook used mysql ?  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Why facebook used mysql ?  (Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com>)
List pgsql-general
hi,
   I am the OP.

With due respect to everyone (and sincere apologies to Richard Broersma), my intention was not to create a thread about MySQL/Oracle's business practices.

It was about the technical discussion on Highscalability - I have been trying to wrap my head around the concept of multiple core scaling for Postgres, especially beyond 8 core (like Scott's Magny Coeurs example). My doubt arises from  whether Postgres depends on the kernel scheduler for multiple CPU/core utilization.

If that is the case, then does using FreeBSD vs Linux give rise to any differences in scaling?

Taking the question one step further, do different Linux kernels (and schedulers) impact Postgres scalability ? The Phoronix Test Suite already tests linux kernel releases for regressions in performance w.r.t postgres DB performance (e.g http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_perf_regressions&num=1), but doesnt particularly focus on multiple cores.

Is it something that should be benchmarked ?

thanks
-Sandeep

P.S. on the topic of scalability, here is another article - http://yoshinorimatsunobu.blogspot.com/2010/10/using-mysql-as-nosql-story-for.html , where people have asked if a similar thing can be done using Postgres UDF or a marshalling  ODBA  http://scm.ywesee.com/?p=odba/.git;a=summary