Re: Documenting PGSQL database. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Björn Lundin
Subject Re: Documenting PGSQL database.
Date
List pgsql-general

7 apr 2007 kl. 21.07 skrev RPK:

I am using PGSQL 8.2.3 on Windows XP. I want to know whether there is any way
of documenting the schema of PGSQL database so that I can get a printed copy
of the same.

Some years ago (2003) I did that, and published it at <http://www.linuxbog.dk/dokumentation/dokumentation/c1187.html>

Now, that is written in swedish, but by looking at the examples and scripts you will
get the idea.

it's a pgtcl script that makes use of data from pg_catalog.

It produces a xml-file, that is supposed to be put through an xsl transformation
tool that will end up the data in docbook format. Also some information of setting up
a  docbook toolchain is provided,

Now, at the time, PG 7.3.1 was I got, so it might not be still correct.

In the end, there is a makefile example of genrating html and pdf of it.
Given you are on windows, the makfile commands may be run by hand instead.

I think pgtcl will run on windows, and the docbook tools I used were all java.

/Björn

Björn Lundin
b dot f dot lundin at gmail dot com