Re: how can a couple of expensive queries drag my system down? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: how can a couple of expensive queries drag my system down?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mar 26, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM, p prince <pprince127@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> is this 'normal'? (loaded question I know)
>> Should I be looking to offload expensive reporting queries to read-
>> only
>> replicants of my database?
>
> Yes, definitely look into setting up something like a slony slave
> that's used for reporting queries.  The nice thing about this setup is
> you only need to replicate the tables you run reports against.

For simple two-node (i.e. no cascaded replication) I'd suggest looking
into Londiste.  It's loads easier to wrap your head around and it's
extremely easy to add/remove tables from replication as it doesn't
deal with "table sets" like Slony does.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com