Re: Does the initial postgres user have a password? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Does the initial postgres user have a password?
Date
Re: Does the initial postgres user have a password?
List pgsql-general
dandl wrote:
> I have a new 9.5 installation, Windows x64, developer only. No users have been added, and no passwords
> set.
>
> I can access the system:
> ·         using pgAdmin3, without specifying a user or password
> ·         using psql, specifying user ‘postgres’ but no password
>
> I cannot access the system with various other tools that require a connection string eg
> password authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
> There is a ‘postgres’ user defined in pg_shadow with password of :
> "md5a19959576d12fc69375fc3dadaeab90b"
>
> What is going on here? Is there a password for user ‘postgres’ or isn’t there? What is it? Why don’t I
> need it sometimes, and I do other times?

You have a password set, and it is probably in a password file, which
might have been created by pgAdmin III.

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-pgpass.html

Yours,
Laurenz Albe