Re: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "pg_class_relname_nsp_index" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "pg_class_relname_nsp_index"
Date
List pgsql-general
Mitu Verma wrote:
> Following error is continuously seen with the postgreSQL database which we are using at customer site.
>
> Current Errors observed: ./fm_db_VoiceReprocessing1/data/pg_log/postgresql-04.log:2015-04-04 01:00:16
> CESTERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "pg_class_relname_nsp_index"
>
> Any pointers on why these errors are coming? What is the meaning of duplicate key value violates
> unique constraint "pg_class_relname_nsp_index"
>
> If it is due to some index corruption or duplicate index? Please help.

This is perfectly harmless from a data integrity point of view, it is just an error
message that the user gets when he or she tries to insert a row whose primary key
already exists in the table:

test=> CREATE TABLE test (id integer PRIMARY KEY, val text);
CREATE TABLE
test=> INSERT INTO test VALUES (1, 'one');
INSERT 0 1
test=> INSERT INTO test VALUES (2, 'one');
INSERT 0 1
test=> INSERT INTO test VALUES (1, 'two');
ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "test_pkey"
DETAIL:  Key (id)=(1) already exists.

If you don't want user errors to be logged in the server log, you can
increase "log_min_messages" to "log".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe