Re: NFS, file system cache and shared_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: NFS, file system cache and shared_buffers
Date
List pgsql-performance
John Melesky wrote:
>> I just learned that NFS does not use a file system cache on the client side.
>
> That's ... incorrect. NFS is cache-capable. NFSv3 (I think? It may have been v2) started sending
> metadata on file operations that was intended to allow for client-side caches. NFSv4 added all sorts
> of stateful behavior which allows for much more aggressive caching.

What do you mean by "allows"?  Does it cache files in memory or not?
Do you need additional software?  Special configuration?

> Where did you read that you could not use caching with NFS?

I have it by hearsay from somebody who seemed knowledgable, and the
existence of CacheFS seemed to indicate it was true.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe