Re: Postgres 9.1 issues running data directory from VMware shared folder - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Postgres 9.1 issues running data directory from VMware shared folder
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 26, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Arze, Cesar <CArze@som.umaryland.edu> wrote:

> I probably should be posting to the VMware mailing list with this question but I wanted to see if anyone had any
insightor suggestions here. I’ve seen many similar issues but none of the solutions proposed there worked for me.

This might not be what you're seeing, but there was a hideous bug in the shared folder (hgfs) driver for linux guest
OSesthat'll silently corrupt your filesystem if it's accessed via more than one filehandle (e.g. multiple opens,
multipleprocesses, ...).

If you're using vmware tools bundled with workstation 10.0.1 or fusion 6.0.2, you have that bug and cannot safely use
hgfsmounts for any files, let alone postgresql. (There was a different bug, with similar results, for earlier versions
too,including at least fusion 5.0.1). VMWare claim it's fixed in the tools bundled with 10.0.2 / 6.0.3 (I've not tested
it).If you're not running the very latest vmware, upgrade to it and install the latest tools (or avoid using hgfs).

Cheers,
  Steve