Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christian Voelker
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello,

Am 14.09.2007 um 22:46 schrieb Gregory Stark:

>> Gimp is a perfect example of a Project where the name
>> is part of the problem.
>
> What problem?

I fear, it is getting off topic.

But to answer your question:
My impression is that Gimp suffered from a
usability problem for a long time. New users
come from Photoshop and expect it to be some-
thing like this. It is somewhat more since
version 2 which is quite some time now, but
it has not been adopted the way Firefox or
OpenOffice did which are used in companies
now and holf measurable market shares. To be
honest, there is also most likely much more
money behind these projects.

The second issue are color management and
color conversion tables which are essential
in professional use. I dont know the current
state, but this was far from useful when I
looked at it last time. This is essential
whereas feature completeness regarding the
x-th permution of blur filters is not.
That said, Gimp is cool but it is not as
successful as it could be keeping in mind
that Image editing is a very common app.

I bet this thread will slow down now for
a week or two and then go on with the
next step like "any objections if I start
to change the documentation?" from one
promoter of the name change. I am in fond
of this, but it is also fun to see how
such things go.

Bye, Christian