Re: Postgres 8.3.10 Alter Table Waiting issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Postgres 8.3.10 Alter Table Waiting issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On 16 Jun 2011, at 18:30, Pratheeban Jebasingh Tharmaraj wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I am trying to add column to the table that's hanging.
>
> alter table hr_firms add column_name biginit;

                                       ^^^^^^
                                       typo?

> This is the lock I see in the db
>
>  relation      |   564709 | 586888   |      |       |            |               |         |       |          | 1/8
            | 1871 | AccessExclusiveLock | f
>
> Version of postgres: 8.3.10
>
> Is it known issue or any fix available?

You have some uncommitted transaction (by the process with pid 1871) on that table that's preventing the database from
alteringthe table. Close that session and it should continue.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4dfa4bb912092131128697!