Re: SSDs with Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Ribe
Subject Re: SSDs with Postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 28, 2011, at 8:48 AM, David Boreham wrote:

> As a former card-carrying semiconductor company employee, I'm not so sure about this.

Well, yes, you have a good point that in many, if not all, cases we're dealing with different companies. That really
shouldhave occurred to me, that manufacturers of SSDDs (or at least some of them) might not have an ingrained culture
ofextreme cost cutting and deceptive ratings--I'm going to use "feeling under the weather" as my excuse. (Of course
reliabilityof some early consumer-grade SSDDs was abysmal, but that should be a fairly easy problem to avoid.)

> MTBF otoh is a mythical computed value...

It's not only mythical, it's not even remotely realistic, to the point that it is no exaggeration to call it a
bald-facedlie. Sorry, don't remember the university, but there was a nice study of large numbers of disks in data
centers,and the result was that actual lifespans were so far from MBTF specs, that the remaining disks would have to
justabout outlive the universe in order to get the mean near the same order of magnitude as the published numbers.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com