Re: Benchmark - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: Benchmark
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Feb 10, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> i'm planning try to do a comparative between some DBMS
> and postgresql (informix, oracle, m$ sql server,
> firebird and even mysql) i'm coordinating with people
> in the irc spanish postgresql channel.
>
> 2) point me to a good benchmark test or script that
> can be used?

The TPC tests are fairly widely accepted.  The thing with a benchmark
is they are unlikely to simulate your real traffic.  But it is always
fun to look at numbers

> 3) any comments?

If you plan on making your results public be very careful with the
license agreements on the other db's.  I know Oracle forbids the
release of benchmark numbers without their approval.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/