Re: Fixed directory locations in installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Natoli
Subject Re: Fixed directory locations in installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Claudio Natoli wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > The only objection was that it hardcodes the layout already in the
> > > source, which gives us no flexibility at all to try out different
> > > installation layouts.  If you want to compute the relative paths
> > > from bindir to libdir etc. at build time based on actual configure
> > > options, then I see no problem with that.
> >
> > But we want to resolve the locations at run-time, not build or
> > configure time.
>
> If that is your intention then your original proposal was
> wrong to begin with, because it resolves the locations even before build
time.

Huh? I guess it could be seen like that, as the subdirectory component is
fixed.

But from a win32/installer POV the only dir that matters IMHO is the install
root dir, which certainly is not fixed before build time in the original
proposal. I suspect we are talking at cross-purposes, because that seems
like exactly what you were asking for in the second paragraph here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-05/msg00064.php

Got an alternative run-time/win32-install-time solution to offer?

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a