Re: PostgreSQL and Windows 10 exception 0xC0000018 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Neuner
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Windows 10 exception 0xC0000018
Date
List pgsql-general
Disclaimer: I do not run Postgresql on Windows.

On Thu, 5 May 2016 14:39:25 +0200, Moreno Andreo
<moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it> wrote:

>    a strange error is happening to some of our customers.
>They all have a Windows 10 installation on their machines with
>our application and, of course, PostgreSQL 9.1 installed
>(migration to 9.5 upcoming in late summer/fall, but not applicable
>by now)
>
>    :
>
>0xC0000018
>
>STATUS_CONFLICTING_ADDRESSES
>
>{Conflicting Address Range} The specified address range conflicts
>with the address space. Googling I found many applications failing
>with that error and how to fix them by setting a value in Registry,
>but these are not the cases.
>All I found in common of these machines (except Windows 10 and
>our app :-) ) was ClassicShell. Uninstalling it seemed to resolve the
>problem... until 2 hours ago, when one of them submitted us the
>same crash with same error.
>
>Trying to google deeper did not help for me.
>
>This issue seems to be present on Windows 10 machines.
>
>Any idea/thought/suggestion?

It's a code address conflict.  It's normally caused by trying to load
more than one fixed base DLL at the same address in the same process.

Typically DLLs have a preferred base address, but are relocatable if
that address is already occupied.  DLLs with fixed base addresses
cannot be relocated (the necessary meta-information is not in the
executable).

It is known to have been caused by McAffee and MalwareBytes
Anti-Exploit.  If either of those are installed, they may need to be
updated.

Otherwise: if Postgresql is loading any non-standard extensions, I
would try to check those DLLs.  If you have a recent Visual Studio
handy, run "link /dump /headers <file>" on the DLLs and look for any
that say "fixed base" under "DLL characteristics".   If you find more
than one that have the same "image base" address, then you've got a
problem.

If you don't find anything, then I would guess 9.1 is just too old.

Hope this helps,
George