Re: A bug reporter surprised by their information going to public mailing list. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: A bug reporter surprised by their information going to public mailing list.
Date
List pgsql-www
(dropping Tom not because I want to but for some reason my mail client
is not resolving his address at the moment).

On 9/28/20 7:56 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:39 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
>

>     David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com <mailto:dgrowleyml@gmail.com>>
>     writes:
>     > Maybe it's not worth spending too many cycles for people that bypass
>     > the warning text, but I thought I'd mention the idea that this could
>     > be backed up by a check box just above the submit and send email
>     > button which has the text "I understand that this report will be
>     > emailed to a public mailing list".  The submit would be disallowed
>     > until the user checks the checkbox.
>
>     > Does anyone think it's worth adding?
>

> I honestly doubt it will help. People have such confirmation-fatigue
> that if they can't be bothered to read anyway, they're just going to
> check that box and proceed anyway. To get past that we'd at least have
> to make it a multi-step process where the confirmation is completely
> separate, which is a much  bigger patch. (Hmm. Yeah, at some point I had
> a big patch to change that thing *completely*, which would then also do
> things like direct pgadmin patches to the pgadmin submission etc, but I
> never quite finished that one).
>
> It also doesn't massively hurt, so I won't object to adding it --  I
> just don't think it will work.
>
> That said, if we do add it (like in Jonathans patch), it should *also*
> be added to the docs form, since they work the same and would have the
> same basic problem.

Agreed with Magnus' analysis.

>     +1.  With that, we could probably simplify the button text back
>     down to "Submit".  Right now I think it's a bit confusing, because
>     it makes it sound like there are two different actions there.
>

> -1 for changing it to just "Submit". But I can agree it's a bit
> confusing. Maybe change it to "Submit email" or "Send email" or
> something like that which again makes it clear what happens. Just
> "submit" will again direct people away from the fact that they are
> sending an email. Or maybe "Submit public bug report"?

-1 for changing the language if we take no action.

If we did, coupled with the patch, I would suggest "Submit Bug Report"
as that's exactly what the form is doing, and the new language above it
indicates that it's posting to a mailing list.

Jonathan

Attachment