Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 5/17/22 10:31 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2022-05-18 10:24, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> <snip>
>> I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are
>> going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in
>> current docs it says:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html
>>
>> "The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the
>> default Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This
>> default is independent of what any local Python installations might
>> consider to be their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python
>> might be.) The default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a
>> distant future release of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the
>> migration to Python 3 in the Python community."
>>
>> This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release
>> announcement will mitigate that.
>
> This sounds like a good idea. :)

I think there are other breaking changes that may also affect users,
e.g. revoking create privs from everyone except the DB owner on the
public schema (which probably has the most impact), removing exclusive
backup mode, etc. These are covered in the "breaking changes" portion of
the release notes.

The PG15 documentation also makes this pretty clear:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/plpython-python23.html

Perhaps in the GA release we add something to the announcement, but the
release announcement is geared more towards "what's new" instead of
"what's breaking".

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment