Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien@dalibo.info
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 11.01.2016 16:33, Joshua D. Drake a écrit :
> On 01/11/2016 06:17 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> In any case, I don't quite see the point of posting "EDB announces
>> 9.5"
>> to pgsql-announce right after the official announcement, but I do see
>> how that might be confusing for people outside the community.
>>

> As I understand it, the approval of PR from EDB going to -announce was
> an accident.

As a follow-up to my "About PostgreSQL section" proposition, I think it
would be a good idea to have a dedicated mailing list for such press
releases.

I agree that "EnterpriseDB Announces [...] PostgreSQL 9.5" is not
appropriate for the pgsql-announce mailing list. However it is still
interesting for "advocacy guys" to see how PostgreSQL companies speak
about PostgreSQL. Maybe I'm too naïve again but I guess we could ask
every PR teams in the community to simply post their PR on
pgsql-advocacy or maybe a new semi-private mailing list (something like
psql-press-releases@postgresql.org )

One could argue that some companies may not want to publish their PR,
but a/ by definition a press release contains information intended for
publication and b/ most PR are now published on prweb.com or
prnewswire.com anyway

The idea is to create a kind of "PR Panopticon", where "everyone watches
everyone" with the concept that when you're issuing a PR about a
postgresql-related product you're not just speaking for your company,
you're also part of a bigger community effort of promoting PostgreSQL in
general. I think creating a dedicated "PR channel" in the community
could help the various PR team understand they are also part of the
community and that they can learn and take advantage of it by being
"good citizens".

--
Damien