Re: Additional links for the "Community" page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Additional links for the "Community" page
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2/8/22 4:38 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 8 Feb 2022, at 03:26, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads@pgug.de> wrote:

>>> I think the "Internals of PostgreSQL" would be good on the "Tutorials & Other Resources"[1] page, as IMV it's a
prettythorough tutorial on the internals of PostgreSQL.

>>> For Stack Exchange, if we linked to it from anywhere it would be the support page[2], but that would effectively
meanwe're endorsing it as an area for community support. The support resources listed are all things we either have
communityoversight over or maintain a directory of.

>> The community has no oversight over the one existing link there either.
>> It says "External Resources", and maybe it deserves an additional note
>> that the listed resources are not associated with the community.
>> Something like:
>>
>> The resources listed here are not endorsed or maintained by the
>> PostgreSQL Community. Please refer any questions to the website owner.
>
> That one link is below the fold on my laptop so I didn't even see it, I had to
> go hunting to even see the area of discussion.
>
> If we are going to have a curated set of links (which I personally question the
> value of), wouldn't it be better if they were submitted in the same/similar
> fashion as professional services etc and subject to moderation by the pgweb
> moderators?

This comes up so infrequently at the moment that I don't know if it's
worth adding additional machinery at the moment. It's not a nuisance to
administrate.

However, I think it'd be a good exercise to attempt writing a policy
around what gets listed on the "Tutorials / External Resources" page.

The current collective wisdom is that these are all links that provide
free resources for learning PostgreSQL, either through written content,
exercises, or both. The only one that requires signup is Schemaverse,
given the nature of its instruction through a game, but I think we'd
want to avoid services that are asking for signups, or at least paywalls.

Under those general guidelines, I believe "Internals of PostgreSQL"
qualifies for the Tutorials page.

If this sounds like a good path forward, I can draft up a policy
proposal for discussion.

Jonathan

Attachment