Re: [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randal T. Rioux
Subject Re: [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, September 15, 2008 10:31 am, Roberts, Jon wrote:

>>> 3.  Software indemnification (which is open source's biggest problem)
>>>

>> Are you kidding?!?  Read the EULA for Oracle or any other proprietary
>> software package and then read the BSD license.  They both indemnify
>> about the same thing, i.e. nothing.  If you have any examples in case
>> law that show otherwise, they'd be a great thing to bring forth.
>
> The contracts you sign when you buy Oracle indemnify you from lawsuits.
> For instance, Oracle bundles Apache with various products.  If someone
> sues a company for using Oracle HTTP Server because it uses Apache and
> Apache was allegedly illegally contributed to by a rogue employee, then
> Oracle protects their customers.
>
> After SCO went after companies using Linux, it is a concern of large
> companies and worth the extra cost of paying Oracle for Apache rather
> than using Apache all by itself.

We all know how well that went...

>>> 9.  Deep, deep discounts.  I've never seen any company pay list price
>>> for Oracle products.  It has always been at least 50% off if not
>>> more.
>>
>> 50% off a price that's bloated by 1000% or more isn't much of a
>> muchness.
>>
> It is only the perception of a good deal.  So what?

If you're comfortable wasting your company's money, then yes. "So what"
applies.

>>> 10.  Sales employees that will do anything to retain or grow your
>>> business.
>>
>> That's just great if you prefer hookers and blow to a working RDBMS.
>>
> LOL.  That is pretty funny.  I'm talking about doing free work like a
> proof of concepts, demonstrations of products, etc.  I've even seen
> technical sales guys help out onsite for free for performance tuning an
> application.

Nothing is free with Oracle. They get your money eventually. This
procedure = advertising expenses.

>>> The initial price of the product factors into the equation for big
>>> companies but when you look at all the value add of Oracle, it is
>>> very tempting.
>>
>> Their sales and marketing people have certainly done an excellent job
>> creating the perceptions above, among others, and spreading them around
>> the industry.
>
> Perception = sales.

Ignorance = sales as well.