OT: Re: Environment variables SOLVED - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject OT: Re: Environment variables SOLVED
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wednesday, December 3, 2003, at 05:15 PM, Roy MacGregor Paterson
wrote:
> I couldn't get Environment Variables to behave themselves, but I've
> since discovered the downloadable PostgreSQL manuals, and bought (and
> read ;-) the O'Reilly's:
>
> Using csh and tsch
> Unix Power Tools
> Learning Unix for Mac OS X
<snip/>
> Eventually figured out that, as it was the last line in the .tcshrc
> file, it couldn't be seen by setenv because it wasn't followed by a
> line feed. This was using BBEdit with .tcshrc defined as a unix file
> type.

Just to let you know (as it's something I'm learning right now!), the
default shell in Panther is bash, rather than tcsh. With my lack of
Unix knowledge, it took me quite by surprise when I found setenv no
longer worked!

By the way, does "Learning Unix for Mac OS X" cover bash? "Mac OS X in
a Nutshell" covers tcsh in pretty good detail, but not much at all on
bash. (I see "Mac OS X Panther in a Nutshell" is due out in March.)

Getting to love my Bourne Again SHell,

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com