Re: COPY and indices? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject Re: COPY and indices?
Date
List pgsql-general

Le mardi 13 mars 2012 à 11:15, Merlin Moncure a écrit :

> 2012/3/13 François Beausoleil <francois@teksol.info (mailto:francois@teksol.info)>:
> >
> > I'll go with the COPY, since I can live with the batched requirements just fine.
>
> 30-40 'in transaction' i/o bound inserts is so slow as to not really
> be believable unless each record is around 1 megabyte because being in
> transaction removes storage latency from the equation. Even on a
> crappy VM. As a point of comparison my sata workstation drive can do
> in the 10s of thousands. How many records are you inserting per
> transaction?

I took the time to gather statistics about the database server: https://gist.github.com/07bbf8a5b05b1c37a7f2

The files are a series of roughly 30 second samples, while the system is under production usage. When I quoted 30-40
transactionsper second, I was actually referring to the number of messages processed from my message queue. Going by
thePostgreSQL numbers, xact_commit tells me I manage 288 commits per second. It's much better than I anticipated.

Anyways, if anybody has comments on how I could increase throughput, I'd appreciate. My message queues are almost
alwaysbacked up by 1M messages, and it's at least partially related to PostgreSQL: if the DB can write faster, I can
managemy backlog better.

I'm still planning on going with batch processing, but I need to do something ASAP to give me just a bit more
throughput.

Thanks!
François