Re: That's official : we're now winning popularity contests :) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: That's official : we're now winning popularity contests :)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mar 5, 2014, at 6:37 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> From databasefriends.co :
> http://www.databasefriends.co/2014/03/favorite-relational-database.html
>
> While the fact that PostgreSQL is more popular than Oracle doesn't
> surprise me, I always thought MySQL was way ahead of us and their claim
> to be "the most popular database" was hardly arguable...
>
> Turns out in this poll PostgreSQL has 41% and MySQL 15%.
>
> Of course this is just a poll on a database blog. But they had 900+
> answers so it's not completely meaningless :)

Having people like PostgreSQL is the first step towards growing the install base and it is definitely a feeling we
shouldcontinue to help cultivate amongst database enthusiasts (after all, it's nice to be liked :-)

The question then becomes, how do we turn people like PostgreSQL into more production installs?  That, of course, is
theharder problem, but winning popularity contests is a good start towards getting more people to use PostgreSQL.

Jonathan