Re: [BUG?] strange behavior in ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO on inherited columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUG?] strange behavior in ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO on inherited columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 3, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In practice the reasonable engineering alternatives may just be to do
> what KaiGai's patch does, or to do nothing.  In that case I think a
> good
> argument can be made for the latter.  Nobody has ever complained about
> this from the field AFAIR; but we might get complaints if we disable
> cases that used to work fine.

Maybe. The current behavior of allowing the rename but then breaking
queries certainly isn't awesome.  I think  if someone is willing to
implement a more careful check we should accept it.

...Robert