[PERFORM] Isolation of tx logs on VMware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From ProPAAS DBA
Subject [PERFORM] Isolation of tx logs on VMware
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi All;

We have a client running on VMware, they have heavy write traffic and we
want to isolate the IO for the tx logs (pg_xlog). However it seems the
best plan based on feedback from the client is either

(a) simply leave the pg_xlog dir in the VMDK

or

(b) relocate pg_xlog to NAS/NFS

I'm not a VMware expert, however I thought VMware would allow the
creation of multiple disk volumes and attach them via separate mount
points. Is this not true? If it is an option can someone point me to a
how to...

Also, if we cannot do multiple VMDK volumes then what is everyone's
thoughts about relocating pg_xlog to an NFS mount?

Thanks in advance