Re: [WAY OT] Re: PL/java? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: [WAY OT] Re: PL/java?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have been following this noisy thread from a distance. I have had
mixed experiences with perl and databases. Most have been bad. A few
have been good. I have seen perl choke an NT server to death with very
few requests for example (the database was SQL server). I also run a
perl database for one of my clients using dbman. It works very well for
their needs.

I would not say either way that perl or Java are bad news. But I will
say that discovering JSP has turned me away from perl because I can make
them work without handcoding.

I am now putting a lot of my logic in SQL code stored in Postgresql and
calling the functions from JSP. If I really need some heavy duty stuff I
would probably put it in beans that i would have programmed by an
expert.

We have the chance to have many languages to choose from. Use the one
that works best (or works best for you). Share the tips and techniques.
And please stop shouting at each other, the real enemy is not within the
Postgresql camp...

<end of calming down rant>

Cheers

Tony Grant