Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal to add --single-row to psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> ... There are in fact a
> pretty large number of companies - EnterpriseDB, obviously, but there
> are many, many others - that are choosing to build businesses around
> PostgreSQL precisely because it *isn't* GPL.  Personally, I think
> that's a good thing for our community in terms of mindshare even when
> companies choose not to contribute back - and it's even better when
> they do.

Yeah, exactly.  People forking PG may not contribute much directly,
but they still add to mindshare and general familiarity with the PG
code base.  In the long run, that cannot help but add to our goal of
world domination ;-)

We had the GPL-vs-BSD-license discussion in excruciating length years
ago, mid-2000 if memory serves, so you can find a whole lot more about
this topic in the mailing list archives from back then.  But personally
I wouldn't consider changing even if it were somehow practical.  The
license choice has served us well and will continue to do so.