RE: Qn on best way to upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 on pr oduction database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trewern, Ben
Subject RE: Qn on best way to upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 on pr oduction database
Date
List pgsql-general
You shouldn't have to dump the DB to upgrade between point releases.  The DB format should not have changed.  I've not done it but I assume that you uninstall 7.0.2 and then install 7.0.3,  start the backend and you are off.  And IMHO it may be time to update to 7.1.2 which has a pgdump which can read 7.0.x DBs I'm not sure how this works but it'll be worth the effort ;-).

Regards

Ben
-----Original Message-----
From: angeh [mailto:enghian@mediaweb.com.sg]
Sent: 09 July 2001 10:52
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Qn on best way to upgrade from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 on production database

I hv a production postgres 7.0.2 on Mandrake 7.2.

there is a bug on timestamp, where I cannot restore back the data created by pg_dump.

therefore I need to upgrade to 7.0.3.

the doc says to do dump/restore when upgrading the database. however, since pg_dump has problem with timestamp data, how am I going to restore back the data after upgrade?!!!

pls help. Thanks

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
notify the sender and do not store, copy or disclose the content
to any other person.

It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that opening this
message and/or any of its attachments will not adversely affect
its systems. No responsibility is accepted by the Company.