What happens when you kill the postmaster? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ralf Schuchardt
Subject What happens when you kill the postmaster?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

on one of our Mac servers an update (Remote Desktop Client) killed yesterday the postmaster process. Apparently this
didnot have any influence on existing connections and therefore was not detected until some time later, when no
connectionfor a backup could be made.

I have then closed all apps with connections to the database. This brought the whole cluster down. It restarted then
withsome transaction log rollback messages and seems to be running fine since then.

Can I now expect that the database is in a consistent state, or must I assume the database is corrupted?
I could run a dump-all without problems and there are rows created after the death the postmaster.

Thanks.

Ralf Schuchardt